25 Feb Hannels Spur
February 25, 2022 - February 27, 2022
Join Zac Zaharias, one of Australia’s most experienced guides, on this iconic hike used by Australia’s top Himalayan mountaineers a a training climb. From the flats to the top of Mt Kosciuszko, it generates the greatest height gain of any trek in Australia, and climbs from mountain to sub-alpine and alpine tracts through the NSW Snowy Mountains.
Start & Finish at:
Cost, 3 day trip:
25-27 February 2022
2 Breakfast with accommodation package
3 per Guide (National Parks mandated ratio)
1 travel day
$ 900 per person (min 2 people)
Available on request
- Climb Mt Kosciuszko the “Hard Way” via Hannels Spur
- The single biggest ascent in Australia climbing 1800 metres to the summit of Mt Kosciuszko from Geehi Flats
- Climb the two highest peaks in Australia, Mt Kosciuszko (2228 m) and Mt Townsend (2209 m)
- Expert leadership and safety with Australia’s most experienced guides who have intimate knowledge of Australia’s high country. (Keith Scott, Zac Zaharias or Mike Edmondson)
- Medical wilderness trained leader with 24hr phone access to advice from a Peak Learning Doctor.
- Bed and breakfast package available before and after the trek so you can enjoy the comfort of a Thredbo lodge with a hot shower at the start and end of the trip.
Snowy Mountains Challenge
Hannels Spur trek is run in Australia’s stunning high country. The challenge is to complete the single biggest ascent in Australia in two days. The track is variable, from gravel to rougher rocky roads, possible snowdrifts and snowgrass sections that require waterproof footwear with ankle support (i.e. boots). You will require a good level of fitness with a proven capability of carrying a pack continuously uphill for two days.
Hannels Spur trek is a fundraiser for the Australian Himalayan Foundation.
You can donate funds yourself or look for sponsorship from friends and family. AHF will help you set up your own fundraising page, or just join the team page to make it easy!
All donations support the work of the AHF to improve education, health and the environment in India, Bhutan and Nepal. Donations of $2 and above are tax deductible.
We do ask that you aim as a minimum goal that you raise $ 500.
- National Park fees (but does not include Visitor/car entry pass)
- Full Guiding services with a maximum ratio of 1 guide to 3 participants
- Satellite phone coverage and rescue
- Full public liability insurance
- Hannels spur achievement certificate
- Travel to and from Thredbo
- National Parks Visitor/Car Entry fees
- Alcoholic drinks, eating out
- Personal clothing and equipment
- Trek food, stoves, tent, cooking gear
- Accommodation and meals (not included in the standard package – available as an optional extra)